Thursday, January 27, 2011

Contentment vs. Satisfaction



So, this idea has been rolling through my mind the last couple of days: that there is a difference between satisfaction and contentment.  I think most people tend to lump the two words together as absolute synonyms.  Generally speaking, that's usually okay, but though they have similar meanings, they are also obviously different.  Here are the definitions of the two words found on dictionary.com.

Contentment:
1. the state of being contented; satisfaction; ease of mind
2. the act of making contentedly satisfied.

Satisfaction:
1. an act of satisfying; fulfillment; gratification.
2. the state of being satisfied; contentment.
3. the cause or means of being satisfied.
4. confident acceptance of something as satisfactory, dependable, true, etc.
5. reparation or compensation, as for a wrong or injury.
6. the opportunity to redress or right a wrong, as by a duel.
7. payment or discharge, as of a debt or obligation.

So, you see the words are very similar.  But when I think about them, what sets them apart from each other is a division of state of soul and spirit versus state of body and mind. 

I see satisfaction as a state of body and mind.  If someone steals from me, I could take them to court and receive satisfactino through monetary recompense.  If I want to learn more about a particular subject, I can satisfy my curiosity by reading books or listening to lectures or watching historical footage.  If my stomach is growling, I can satisfy my hunger by eating a sandwich.  Eventually, though, I become hungry again, and must reach for a snack or make another meal.  Likewise, learning is a life-long process that can and will never be completely fulfilled.  And the money I was repaid might be adequate restitution, but isn't life-changing.  We can satisfy ourselves for a moment, but because of human nature, our satisfaction is fleeting and must constantly be addressed.

I see contentment as a state of soul and spirit.  I can be hungry, unable to satisfy my hunger, but still be content in my life.  I can be destitute of money, unable to get enough to adequately provide for my needs, but still be content in my soul.  I can lack knowledge or experience, etc. but still be content in my spirit.
The primary and distinguishing difference is simple.  Satisfaction is for the flesh.  Contentment is for the Spirit.  I can lack earthly things, but be content in the Lord.  I doubt I will ever be fully satisfied with where I am in the Lord.  I always want to know more about Him, be more in tune with Him, have a closer relationship with Him.  But I am and have always been content in Him, lacking no good thing.  And the truth of the matter is that you can't satisfy your flesh, or fleshly desires, (or carnal man) and also satisfy your spirit.  The two are at war with one another.  But if you are content in the Lord, the satisfaction of the flesh doesn't mean quite as much as it used to.

My goal in life is to always be content in the Lord.  If I am content in the Lord, I know that he is providing all my earthly needs.  My flesh (the carnal man) may not receive satisfaction, but my soul will be content.  And the soul is much more important then the flesh. 

"Therefore do not worry, saying "what shall we eat?" or "what shall we drink?" or "what shall we wear?"  for after all these things the Gentiles seek.  For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  Matthew 6:31-33
"Now godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain that we can carry nothing out.  And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.  But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition."  1 Timothy 6:6-8

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."  James 1:17

2 comments:

  1. A very interesting article. Right now we are doing classes on the Kingdom of God at church, and content and satisfied came in obe of the topics. I was researching and came across thia article. I will be following your posts from now on. Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this article it was very well explained to those who is confused up until now.

    ReplyDelete