Thursday, January 6, 2011

Setting Up the Pins

there's this really fantastic song called "Setting up the Pins" by Sara Groves.  In it she talks about finding joy in the mundane things in life, like doing laundry.  In the CD sleeve she says she wrote the song while she was at the sink doing dishes.  And this idea struck a chord with me because I LOATHE housework.  It's never finished.  You just get everything done and then have to come back and do it again the next day or the next weekend because it's not one of those "once and done" things.  it's perpetual and it take discipline.  Discipline, i'm sad to say, that I often lack.  Of course I can get away with it because I live by myself and I don't particularly care that my laundry is piled on my sofa.  (I never sit on it, anyway).  And eventually when run out of spoons or bowls, I'll get around to the dishes out of pure necessity.  but I rarely find joy in it.  and this song really encourages me and convicts me to try a little harder to find joy in the mundane tasks.

Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 10:31 "...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  The passage it comes from is talking about freedom in Christ - about not being bound by dietary restrictions, etc.  But this part of the verse is really applicable to anything that we, as Christians, might do.

And he also tells us in Colossians 3:23-24 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

I tried to embed this, but for some reason it won't work.  so... Watch the Video Here 

No comments:

Post a Comment