Friday, April 8, 2011

Manic

A poem I wrote at a time I was feeling misunderstood and completely out of my depth.
-------------------
Manic

I am up and down and inside out
Within the confines of my existence
A roller coaster ride of emotions
A mixed bag of strange devotions
One moment I feel free and the next
I’m bound, gagged, and locked in captivity
Not even a court order can get me out
My jailor does not know acquiescence
And we are annoyed by each other’s presence
Or presence of mind

And now I’m flying high above the clouds
Feeling carefree and extraneous
Untouchable, relaxed in my own skin
Until I hit some turbulence and then
I panic, my self-assurance vexed
I lose the fight with gravity
I’m plummeting to my demise among the crowds
Who watch me free fall plainly just
To witness something odd and spontaneous
Or spontaneously blind

(c) Kasidee Gilchrist 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment