Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oh to be wise...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard or thought "I wish I had known" or "if only I was a little wiser."  People talk of wisdom as though it is something learned...something taught by experience and lots of failures.  This may be true, but I believe attaining wisdom is something simple...something not nearly as difficult as we make it out to be.  Don't get me wrong.  My 77-year old grandfather is so much wiser than I am, and I would do him a disservice to say that wisdom doesn't come with age.  but i believe that people can be wise, regardless of their age.  Because while wisdom is something taught by time and experience, it is also a gift given.  And receiving wisdom is easy. 


"To know wisdom and instruction, to perceive the words of understanding
to receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, judgment, and equity;
to give prudence to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion --
A wise man will hear and increase learning,
and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
to understand a proverb and an enigma,
the words of the wise and their riddles.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Proverbs 1:2-7

PS.  that word fear doesn't mean mortal, irrational fear of something.  It means reverence and honor and respect...like subjects before a King.  So...if you want to be wise, it's simple.  Honor and Respect the Lord.  That's the beginning, and from there, He'll teach you wisdom.  because, after all, if we believe in Jesus, "...we have the mind of Christ."  1 Cor 2:16

No comments:

Post a Comment